Rosey the Riveter

Friday, March 30, 2012

Violet Jelly

The other day as I was out for a jog (if you can even call it that!) I noticed that there were a bunch of violets on the side of the road.  So this morning, I went back with my youngest and we collected 2 cups worth of blossoms. 

The method for making Violet Jelly is the same as for making Rose Petal Jelly.

First, rinse well and send them for a ride in the salad spinner.

Boil 2 1/4 cups of water and poured it over the blossoms. 

It's hard to see in this picture but the water turns blue almost immediately.  Cover, and let sit on the counter overnight.

When it's time to can them up,  drain the liquid.  Squeeze the violets to get every last drop.  You want 2 cups of liquid. 
To this, add 1/4 cup lemon juice and admire how bright the juice becomes.

Add a box of pectin and bring to a boil in a sauce pan.  Then, add 4 cups of sugar and return to a hard boil.  Continue boiling for 1 minute. 

Remove from heat, fill your jars, process in a BWB for 10 minutes.

I got 4 jelly jars out of the deal.  It's got a light taste that's hard to describe.  It's good, but I think I prefer the Rose Petal.  However, this method works for any herb, so I hope to be trying several more jellies once the garden gets going!

No comments:

Post a Comment