Rosey the Riveter

Friday, March 16, 2012

Three Surprises!

This morning as we were out waiting for Joanna's bus, I spotted something different in the lawn.  I'm used to seeing the purple of the henbit and deadnettles (weeds, yes, but good for the bees.  I've stopped pulling them up!) but this was a darker color, almost blue.  They looked like little hyacinths, but I guessed they were bluebells.

I was right on both accounts.  According to google, they are also called "grape hyacinth".  Needless to say, I quickly dug them up to save them from being mowed.  Haven't decided where to put them yet, but apparently they spread well, so I'm thinking may be under the holly bushes in the front of the house.  (I HATE the holly.  The leaves are pointy and sharp.)

Another surprise was this little RED jalapeno!  This is the plant that over wintered in the diningroom and has been SLOWLY producing peppers all winter (I've yet to pick any, that's how slow it's been!)

And I have an opened lemon blossom!  Smells delicious!

The leaves on the rosebushes seem to have appeared overnight, and the buds on the trees will be open soon, too.  I think I can safely say that it's spring here in Hampton Roads.

Which just means we'll be getting a cold snap at any time now!

No comments:

Post a Comment