Rosey the Riveter

Friday, April 13, 2012

Spring Break

It's been too long since I've posted.  Things have been a little crazy here.  The kids are on spring break.  The husband took the week off.  We had a large to-do list and I didn't get enough accomplished, but that's ok.  After a lifetime of wishing, I finally made it to Colonial Williamsburg for a couple of days.  I can't wait to go back!  The gardens were beautiful, but it was impossible to see everything in a day.

I haven't planted anything lately, but the radishes are coming in like mad and the peas are just starting, too.  Carrots won't be far behind.  I am heading to a plant sale tomorrow in hopes of scoring some heirloom tomatoes.  I'm especially hoping for Cherokee Purple.

In other exciting news, I am officially a bee-keeper!  Last week I got a swarm call from my mentor and jumped at the chance to go get it!  It was definitely one of the most thrilling things I've done in a long time, even though it was a very easy catch.  It was a damp, cold day so they were just hanging out on this pole about 5' off the ground.  The bees have been drawing comb in their Nuc box, but sometime in the next few days we'll open them up and check for the queen, and may be even move them into the actual hive. 

And, it's strawberry season... about 2 weeks early.  I haven't gone to pick yet because I'm waiting for the warm temps predicted early next week to sweeten up the berries.  In the mean time, I'm working on a canning plan and assembling all the preserving recipes I want to make this summer and fall.  I need to make sure I have enough jars and ingredients, etc.  First up is Strawberry Anise Hyssop Jam, since my rhubarb isn't going to be producing anything this year!  Fortunately, my Anise Hyssop is thriving.

Stay tuned for more posts about the projects that DID get done this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment