Rosey the Riveter

Friday, October 7, 2011

Spearmint!

One of the things the previous owners left us out in the garden was a container of dead spearmint. I knew it was spearmint because the marker was still in it. And I knew they planted it in a container because otherwise, it could take over the entire garden. My first instinct was to throw the lifeless thing away. But then that practical little voice said "Wait! It could come back. Keep it for awhile and see."

While out in the garden today, I happened to notice some green among the dead branches in the spearmint container. It didn't take but a pinch to ascertain that the spearmint was indeed coming back. I promptly removed most of the dead stuff and immediately started thinking about what I was going to do with SPEARMINT!!!! I would never choose to grow it... there are many other things I'd use more... but since I have it,  I need to put it to use.

Martha has a recipe for Fresh Mint Truffles that would be great for the holidays. Or her Fresh Spearmint Ice Cream sounds fantastic.

I can't wait to get back to making soap again... this recipe calls for spearmint AND rosemary, which I also have growing.  

Taste of Home has this easy Spearmint Tea recipe. One of the things I found most interesting is that 2 cups a day for 5 days has been found to reduce a type of testosterone that is linked to unwanted hair in women. This may be first on the list of things I try! (hey, just keepin' it real here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment