Rosey the Riveter

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mystery Solved

A few days after I planted the cabbage, I noticed that a volunteer had popped up.  But I couldn't tell if it was a squash, a pumpkin, a cucumber, or what.  I let it be.  It quickly overtook the cabbage.

In fact, it seems to be flourishing.

But I still couldn't tell what it was.  Until today, when I spotted this behind the blossom:

And this:
In fact, they were everywhere!

So I quickly called over one little girl who was thrilled that the mystery was over.  She loves cucumbers.  I had to caution her that this typically isn't the time that they grow, so I didn't know if we'd be able to harvest them, or not.  But we're sure going to try!  First frost around here isn't usually until around Thanksgiving, so I think we'll have time.  Imagine that... homegrown cucumbers fresh from the garden in October!

No comments:

Post a Comment