Rosey the Riveter

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Butter!

Every week, the nice Oberweis man delivers our milk and one container of heavy cream.  It's my standing order.  I intend to make homemade icecream once a week.  It hasn't happened yet.  As a result, we had four containers of cream that I did NOT want to waste, so I knew it was time to make butter.

I've done it before.  It's super easy with a food processor.  It takes all of about 5-7 minutes.  Here's a great video.
So, begin with pouring cream into the food processor.
 Now you're going to turn it on and let it go for a spin. The cream will be liquid at first, obviously.
Then it will gradually thicken.
In no time at all you will have whipped cream.
And then it will get really firm.
Just when you think nothing else will happen, the butter milk separates from the butter and starts splattering all over the food processor.
That's when you know you have butter!  Strain out the buttermilk (this is not the same as the cultured stuff you buy in the store, but it is great in pancakes and muffins, so be sure to save it.)  Then what you want to do is rinse the butter with COLD water in a bowl (sorry, I didn't take pictures)  I find that 3 times is a charm... squeeze the butter (the more liquid you get out, the longer it will last) and rinse.  When the water runs clean, you're good to go.

And just because I don't want you to do what I did, please don't think it's a good idea to make butter while you have milk heating on the stove to make yogurt.  This is what you will end up with:
It was not fun to clean.  At all.

No comments:

Post a Comment