Rosey the Riveter

Friday, October 28, 2011

The Apple Fail

So, you all know I made apple butter the other day.  I only used half the apples I'd bought, so while the crock-pot and canner were still out, I decided to make a batch of applesauce.  My method is simple... peel the apples, throw them in the crock pot, and cook until mushy.  Add in cinnamon to taste.  Hit with the stick blender until texture is the way you like it (my kids like chunks).  Process in jars or freeze.

I knew something was amiss when I opened up the canner and got this view:

Sure enough, one of the jars broke.  I was so sad!  My precious (expensive) organic apples... wasted!  I don't know what made it happen (probably the jar was weakened during our recent move) but it was the first time ever that I've had a jar break.

The upside is that I got to dehydrate more peels.  I tossed them in the blender and they look like this:

I store them in a sealed jar.  The kids like to snack on them.  If there are any left when I make our oatmeal packets, I'll add some in.  It's also a great way to add some natural fiber to yogurt, breads, muffins, or what have you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment