Rosey the Riveter

Friday, April 20, 2012

Strawberry Kiwi Jam

We are lucky enough to have a strawberry field 3 minutes down the road from us.  So the other morning I dragged my youngest there at 9am when they opened (we had to pick and get back to get her on the bus!)  In no time flat, we had 4 pounds worth of berries.  Not much, but enough for me to make a couple batches of jam and strawberry shortcakes for dessert.

I still have some of the kiwis that I bought last winter, but I am down to the last few.  I was so hoping they'd hold out for strawberry season, and they did!  So the first batch of jam had to be strawberry-kiwi!

It was very easy.  I used the recipe from the Ball Blue Book.  I am not going to reprint it here because if you are canning, you need your own copy.  Go spend the 8 or 10 bucks, it's worth every penny.

First, I crushed the strawberries and diced the kiwi and added some homemade crystallized ginger.

Then I added the pectin and brought it to a boil.

Pour in the sugar, return to a rolling boil for 1 minute and process it up.

Easy Peasy.
From vine to jar in under an hour.  Pure Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment