Rosey the Riveter

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Auction Results

I didn't get a chance to take a picture of this weeks auction haul, but it was a good week.  I got half a bushel of peaches, a 20-lb box of zucchini, two cabbages, and a small box of onions for under $25.

The peaches all went into the dehydrator (some sliced for snacking, and some diced for oatmeal) except for the few I used to make some Peach Anise Hyssop Jam. Overall, I was pleased with the jam but I need to make a few adjustments to make it drop-dead delicious.  At that point, I'll share the recipe!  I'll need several more bushels of peaches to dehydrate, and I still want to make some peach cobblers, so we've only just begun the peach journey.  I still have canned peaches and pie filling from last year, so I don't think I'll make more of them.

The zucchini also went into the dehydrator (some sliced for snacking, some shredded) except for a batch of Bread and Butter Zucchini Pickles that I tried.  I read in the Ball Big Book of Canning that you can sub zukes for cukes in any pickle recipe.  Let's just say I won't be making them again!

The onions have disappeared... sliced raw on burgers, chopped in casseroles or on pizza... you name it.  We've also been eating coleslaw with almost every meal, but I may end up dehydrating some of it for soups in winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment