Rosey the Riveter

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Garden Update

I decided the other day to take off the toile that I had protecting my broccoli and cabbages.  The plants are big enough now that they can take some cabbage moth damage, I really needed to get in there to weed (mulch helps, but it's not weed-proof!), and the peas were starting to latch on.

I did find some caterpillars on the plants even with the covering, but overall I'd say it was a success and I will definitely do it again next year.
The carrots are doing well... I'm hoping to have some in a few weeks.  The Snap Peas continue to produce... I should have planted way more but what did I know?  Live and learn.

The herb garden is looking really good.  I have been harvesting sage leaves every so often for the dehydrator.  It was such a monster of a plant when we moved in, and I cut it back this spring (to the point I didn't know if it would make it or not) but as you can see (far right) it is doing fine! 
The sunflowers have blossoms already.  These are mammoth, so I'm expecting them to get much taller.  If you look closely, you can see the melons that came up in the compost bin!
These plants are very dear to me, as they are the first ones I planted after we moved in.  They are in the butterfly garden.  The big one in front is a Dr. Seuss plant (a type of Monarda, or Bee Balm), then on the left is Anise Hyssop (some leaves of which will be sacrificed for jelly), then there's Bronze Fennel, and Wormwood.  The purple in the far back is Homestead Verbena, which is absolutely thriving.

These Dahlias are my newest addition.  I couldn't resist them!

1 comment:

  1. Everything is so big! It looks great :) can't wait for my little guys to get bigger too

    ReplyDelete