Rosey the Riveter

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Who Needs Thomas'?

I was in Food Lion today to pick up a container of cottage cheese that I needed for lasagna.  In my dash to the dairy case, I happened to notice they carried Barbara's Peanut Butter Puffins.  My favorite cereal ever!  Then I noticed the price.  $5.69.  FIVE DOLLARS AND SIXTY-NINE CENTS!  Are you kidding me?

I quickly remembered why I gave up buying cereal.  First, I'm too cheap.  Second, unless it's organic, chances are that genetically modified corn is an ingredient.  Even in Kashi, which was a surprise even though it probably shouldn't have been.  Third, I know I can do better.
Tonight I made a huge batch of English Muffins (I've been making them for awhile but this is the first time I've had corn meal.  Now they really look like the real thing.)  Last week I made a batch of masa-waffles and froze them.  Every morning, we toasted them straight out of the freezer and the girls ate with Papa's maple syrup.  Sometimes it's homemade yogurt sweetened with homemade jelly with homemade granola.  Or the homemade instant oatmeal mix with dehydrated fruit.  On the weekends it's omelets with free-range eggs from the farmer down the road and peppers I froze from the garden.  Occasionally, I'll make a batch of blueberry pancakes.  Or french-toast to use up the 'bread ends' that end up in the freezer... homemade wheat bread toasted with homemade jelly... the list goes on.

The point is... we don't miss the cereal.  And most of our breakfasts are just as quick in the morning. 

Take that, Monsanto!

No comments:

Post a Comment