Rosey the Riveter

Friday, May 31, 2013

Gaillardia

Most of the flowers in my garden are there because they attract beneficial insects (Zinnia, Marigold, Nasturtium), they attract pollinators (Homestead Verbena, Black-Eyed Susans) or because they have medicinal uses (Calendula, Echinacea).  There are very few exceptions... but those are the flowers that I have planted to remind me of home and those people I love most.  There are stories behind all of them... Lilacs, Forsythia, Bleeding Heart, Hydrangea... and the Gaillardia (or Blanket Flower).
You see, the Gaillardia is maroon and gold... the school colors of Shepherd Hill Regional High School, where "Pride & Unity" is the motto.  It's been more than half a lifetime since I roamed those halls, but the memories are cemented deep in my heart.  I was one of the fortunate few who loved high school, and it's been so great to reconnect with so many friends on Facebook.  Here's to you, fellow band fags and '91 grads.  Thanks for the memories.




No comments:

Post a Comment