Rosey the Riveter

Sunday, May 26, 2013

A Walk Around the Homefront - May 2013

I have several of these growing in and around the compost.  Is it smartweed?  Or maybe a milkweed? Who knows.  Time will tell.
 I have another monster growing in the other compost bin.  Is it a squash?  A pumpkin?  Who knows.  Time will tell!
 These are the herb beds.  Starting from top right and working clockwise we have lavender, chamomile, stevia, horehound, and some pepper plants.  Then there's borage, oregano, thyme, sage, chives, cilantro, and rosemary.
In these beds we have peas, carrots, some peppers, more carrots, calendula, a monster radish (more on that later), spinach, lettuce, more carrots, and some pumpkins that you probably can't see.  The grapevine is in the background, along the garden fence (although it looks like it's on the trellis.)
 In this bed we have peas, carrots, lettuce, echinacea, garlic, potatoes, more garlic and scallions, and more pumpkins and lettuce that you can't see.
 The Sugar Ann Peas are doing great.
 This is a carrot that overwintered.  I left it for the swallowtails, but I haven't seen a one this year!  It's going to seed, so I'll see if I can't save them.
 And this overgrown mess is a radish.  I'll be saving those seeds, too!
 Volunteer celery that popped up out of nowhere!
 The Amaryllis that I got in a swap last spring is beautifully in bloom!
This is a volunteer tomato that is doing better than any of the ones I *tried* to grow last year.  I don't know what kind it is, so I don't even know if its an indeterminate or not.  Time will tell!  (Seems to be an on-going theme around here!)


 I have never picked sour cherries before, but a fellow homesteader invited me to get some from her neighbors trees (they are out of town.)  They made delicious jam which will soon be used to make cherry danish!

And I am happy to report the family loved my cinnamon-raising bagels (even the 2 who don't like raisins) so my project for tomorrow is trying some different flavors.  It's going to be great having them in the freezer to toast up for breakfast in the mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment