Rosey the Riveter

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

100% Whole Wheat Bread

It's been way too long since I've posted.  I've been trying to prepare for Christmas and I finally learned how to crochet correctly, so instead of being on the computer at night, I usually have yarn in my hands.

One of the things I've been experimenting with lately is milling my own flour from wheat berries.  Two summers ago, I was VERY lucky to find a Nutrimill at a thrift store for $7.  Truthfully, I didn't even know for sure at the time that it was a grinder, but knowing how expensive they were, I was willing to take the chance.  And I'm glad I did!  They are $259 new!

Unfortunately, most of the recipes for wheat bread call for half white flour, and I didn't want to have to use it.  So I decided to buy the book "No More Bricks" by Lori Viets, which is a great one for beginner grinders like me.  There are only like 4 basic recipes in the book, but it teaches you all sorts of ways to use them, along with discussing the different types of grinders and grains.  I have been extremely happy with the bread I've been baking, and even happier that there is no white flour in the loaves.

On a recent trip to the local Amish Bulk Store (it's kind of new, and I was thrilled to discover it!) I bought a package of 7 grain berries, excited about the possibility of turning it into bread.  Normally, I don't pay that much for wheat berries, but normally, I buy in 25 or 50 lbs quantities!
 This is what the Nutrimill looks like, with a pound of berries ready to go.
 And this is the flour that results.  It's just beautiful!
 The recipe for the bread can be found HERE.  (I tripled it) But these are the ingredients:
My apologies to those who are unable to tolerate gluten.  In my experience, it's a needed addition in order to get a great loaf of 100% Whole Wheat.  After dumping the ingredients into my mixer and kneading it, I just shaped the loaves and let them rise in the oven with the light on.
After an hour or so, when the dough is an inch above the pan, bake for about 30 minutes at 350.
 Delicious, healthy whole wheat bread!




No comments:

Post a Comment