Rosey the Riveter

Sunday, August 11, 2013

EAS 2013 Conference



I just got back from an amazing bee conference in West Chester, PA.  My friend Donna Rae and I left Tuesday morning and got back yesterday afternoon.  It was a full schedule of classes and seminars, so my brain is mush right about now.

The highlight for me was Thursday, when we spent all day learning about Apitherapy and how bee stings and hive products are used to treat many, many medical conditions.  It was absolutely fascinating! 

We got to hear some renown speakers... Dennis VanEngelsdorp (above), Tom Seeley, Wyatt Mangum, and Buddy Marterre to name a few. 

And... I bought an extractor!  This means that in order to harvest honey, I don't have to wait until I can go pick up the extractor from the Guild, and I don't have to worry about bringing it back.  I am excited to taste our first drops of liquid gold!

We met some really nice people... Hi Kenny!  and Mary, who actually teaches at the same school my mom used to (small world!) and lots of other beekeepers from all over the eastern seaboard. 

The five hour trip home turned into ten, because we stopped at every non-scary looking thrift store and farm stand we saw on the way!  Next year's conference is going to be in Kentucky and the year after that it's going to be in Quebec, so it will be a few years before I can go again... but I definitely will be back at some point!

No comments:

Post a Comment