Rosey the Riveter

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Zucchini Casserole

Last Wednesday was the first produce auction of the year, and Saturday marked the beginning of the Chesapeake Farmers Market.  This year, we have two locations about equi-distant from us, conveniently located in the two areas where I run errands, so I'm thrilled about that.

I came home from the first auction with a basketful of green beans, and promptly pressure canned 16 pints.  I had to freeze 3 quart bags, too.

I came home from the first Farmers Market with some summer squash and zucchini, and decided I would make Aunt Audrey's Zucchini Casserole inspite of the fact I was the only one who would eat it.  This is one of those dishes where one bite instantly takes you back to childhood summers.  Back in New England, we had to wait longer for the first squashes to be harvested.

First, slice your zucchini and summer squash.  Use young and tender ones and don't bother peeling.  You want about 4 cups.  Saute them in a little bit of water with 1 cup of thickly chopped onion.
 When they are cooked, drain the water.  In another pan, melt 2 TBL butter and mix in 2 TBL flour.  When combined, add in 1c milk and salt and pepper to taste, making a white sauce.  Cook until thickened.
 Add the white sauce to the veggies.
 Top with 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
 Mix 1/2 cup melted butter with 3/4 c homemade bread crumbs (don't even bother with store bought!) and sprinkle over the top.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Unfortunately, I never snapped a picture of the finished product!  It turns out that Joanna decided she liked it, so I had to share the left-overs.

No comments:

Post a Comment