Rosey the Riveter

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Crazy Busy!

Wanted to take a few seconds out of my day to post a bit about what's going on at the Homestead (besides the end of the school year hectic schedules...)

 Teacher, librarian, and bus driver gifts are made and wrapped.  Teachers are getting two different types of Strawberry Jelly (the kids got to pick from the Jelly Cupboard), some dishtowels with Strawberry fabric added by me, and some homemade cards that say "Thanks Berry Much".  I'm glad I started these early.  It was nice not to have to stress too much about getting it all together.  Curling all the pretty ribbon on the giftbags, however... not so nice.
Peaches have arrived!  There is a new peach farm right down the road from me.  Definitely excited about getting a bushel or two when I have more time to process them.  These went into the freezer.  I flash froze them in the cupcake pan and then bagged them up after they were frozen solid (they were soft and juicy to begin with!)  Some others became peach butter.
You're looking at 15 pounds of Vidalia onions, dehydrated.  Do yourself a favor and put the dehydrator outside if you attempt this!  Now I'll be able to enjoy my favorite onions all year round.  Due to their high sugar content, they don't store well, but they dehydrate beautifully and are super in soups and casseroles, etc.
The blackberries are also here!  Most of these went in the freezer, for when I have more time.  But some went in THIS RECIPE for Spiced Blackberry Preserves.  The strawberries went straight into the dehydrator.  I am almost positive they are the last of the season for us.
This is my new shelf for storing jars.  Well, the shelf isn't new... it's been in the laundry room holding excess kitchen items which have been moved out to the garage (lots of room out there now after our yardsale junk is gone!)  Hubby added the wire to prevent the jars from falling off accidentally.  And since there are no windows in there, I think it's a good spot to store them.  From left to right, Peach Jalapeno, Pineapple Coconut Jalapeno, Spiced Blackberry Preserves, and Strawberry Anise Hyssop.

More projects in the work.  Stay tuned after I take a brief summer hiatus!

No comments:

Post a Comment