Rosey the Riveter

Friday, June 1, 2012

Butterflies Galore!

I have lost track of how many butterflies have hatched.  Each of the kids brought a chrysalis to school, and we had several hatch here.  We lost two to the cat, who figured out how to knock over the Butterfly Keeper so the velcro tab would open.  Talk about a devastated 6 year old!

This morning as I put Joanna on the bus at about 10:15 I checked and there were no newly hatched butterflies.  Then I had a non-stop day and wasn't home at all.  After the kids got home from school, we noticed Max (the cat) had jumped up on the counter and was intently eying the Keeper (now protected by a clear Rubbermaid bin).  There were THREE butterflies in there!
The girls were thrilled and couldn't wait to release them.
We only have a few more left to hatch.  It's been a great experience, but I don't know if I'll do it again in the fall.  It's a pain trying to change/clean the cage...  may be we'll let the caterpillars munch on the parsley outside and then bring them in when they are in their last instar.  They are truly beautiful and I don't care how old you are, it's a thrill to watch them take off for freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment