Rosey the Riveter

Friday, March 22, 2013

Learning Something New

One of my goals for 2013 was to learn something new... cheesemaking tops the list, but last weekend I hosted a Penny Rug making class at my house and we had so much fun!

For a long while, I wanted to learn how to make them.  Originating back in the Civil War, women would use pennies and other coins as templates to cut scraps of wool.  They would then sew them together to make mats to protect their furniture.
 
I was ecstatic when I located a local teacher who was willing to teach a class!  Her name is Abby Geddes and she is a delight.
We all got a good jump start on our own mats, and enjoyed visiting while we stitched.
I've since been buying wool clothes at the thrift stores, deconstructing them, and then washing and drying to 'felt' it so that I can make more penny rugs!

Here's my first finished project:
Future projects involving chickens and bees are in the works!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment